Regionally-based context and leadership, with National-level resources.
The Council of State Governments Southern Office (CSG South) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan member organization that serves the southern governments of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia.
With regionally-based leadership and perspective, and national-level resources, we provide Southern government officials and staff with a wide variety of programs and services that facilitate regional cooperation and encourage the exchange of information. Acting as an extension of our members’ offices, we provide policy research and analysis, leadership development, and government staff training. We also curate events, including our marquee, annual Southern Legislative Conference (SLC), delegations, policy masterclasses, and other opportunities where lawmakers and government staff can connect and build relationships with leaders from across our region.
OUR MISSION Promote and strengthen cooperation among our 15 member states.
By the Numbers
- The Council of State Governments (CSG) founded.
- First Krispy Kreme opens in Nashville, Tennessee.
- James Brown born in Barnwell, South Carolina.
- Willie Nelson born in Abbott, Texas.
- Nina Simone born in Tryon, North Carolina.
- Invitations are sent for the first ever Master’s Tournament at The Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, GA (first tournaments held in 1934).
- Southern Legislative Conference (SLC) established in Hot Springs, Arkansas.
- Written by Tennessee Williams, a native of St. Louis, Missouri, and set in New Orleans, A Streetcar Named Desire opens on Broadway.
- Emmylou Harris born in Birmingham, Alabama.
- Dolly Parton celebrates her 1st birthday.
- SLC joins as the Southern Office of CSG.
- Busch Gardens opens in Tampa, Florida.
- Miss Mississippi, Mary Ann Mobley, is crowned Miss America.
- Jockey William Shoemaker wins the Kentucky Derby.
- West Virginia native Steve Harvey celebrates his 2nd birthday.
- President Eisenhower lays the cornerstone for the CIA Headquarters building in Langley, Virginia.
- CSG South officially adopted as our organization’s name (2022).
- Largest attended Southern Legislative Conference to date in Charleston, SC with over 2,000 attendees (2023).
- The 78th Southern Legislative Conference will be held at The Greenbrier in West Virginia July 21-25, 2024.